Nut-Free Precautions – Oak ParkJanuary 6, 2016
There is an ever increasing number of children who have allergic reactions to food. Nut allergies in particular are very severe and indeed can cause anaphylaxis. This is a life threatening condition. It is for this reason that Intercultural is a nut-free zone.
As stated in our Parent Handbook, all foods brought to school must be nut-free and made in nut-free facilities.
- Peanuts, tree nuts (no nuts of any kind)
- Peanut butter
- Peanut oil
- Hydrolyzed peanut protein
- Goober peas”/”Goober nuts” (terms for peanuts)
- Artificial nuts
- Candy bars containing nuts (such as Snickers, Reese’s, Payday).
- Asian dishes made with peanut or nut oil, with peanut sauces or peanuts/nuts mixed.
- Pastries, cakes, brownies, and cookies that include any nuts, nut oils, peanuts or peanut butter.
- Granola bars that contain peanuts/nuts and/or peanut/nut butter.
- Trail mix with peanuts or tree nuts.
- Kick sacks/hacky sacks are sometimes filled with crushed nuts.
Therefore, we ask that all parents be particularly cognizant of the food you send your child to school with regarding any nut content.